This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Employer Blacklisting

In New York state what are the laws/guidelines for former employers verifying employment? I have been made aware by a business contact that called my former school (I was a teacher at a public school in the state) to verify employment that the Principal defamed me professionally. My employment history was completely misrepresented-they lied! The comments ranged from me being "unprofessional" for resigning mid-school year, to stating that I "didn't care about the students" and just about everything in between. The Principal (who prior to my resignation I had little to no contact with) had no basis to make such accusations. None of the administrators (not even my immediate supervisor) had ever observed me teaching one time during my seven months there. What recourse do I have (if any) for my former employers attempting to misrepresent me as a professional-essentially attempting to blacklist me?

First of all, this does not fall under NY's blacklisting laws, which are extremely specific and do not cover this situation.

Secondly, nothing you have posted is defamatory. If it is the employer's opinion that you acted unprofessionally, he is entitled to say so. If it is his option that you didn't care about the students, he is entitled to say so. Contrary to what many people believe, an employer is able to say anything that is true or that they honestly believe to be true.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

what can be done?

So you hire in somewhere, stick it out best you can, and then give up. The individual that should be fired, still lingers on and punishes those who know his lacking skills and shortcomings?

Maple

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X