Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

unpaid lunch or dinner

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • unpaid lunch or dinner

    My husband works the evening and night shift at a hospital. about three years ago they changed the work week to 37 1/2 hours per week. He has to work 40 hours because he has no coverage for lunch or dinner. There are no provisions for his half hour break and they still only pay for 37 1/2 hours. can you tell me if this is against the nys labor laws. We already know that one department in the hospital is getting paid for the full forty hour week.

  • #2
    If he is working through his meal period, he must be paid for it, whether or not the employer has authorized his doing so. What does he do that does not allow him to take his meal period? He can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for unpaid wages.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Hospital Question

      Last edited by Ginaredrovan; 04-14-2007, 10:13 AM. Reason: post is 1 year old


      • #4
        Ginaredrovan, did you happen to notice that this thread is from last November? I very much doubt that the poster is still coming back looking for additional responses.

        Please do not respond to dormant posts unless you either have question (not a comment) about the law being discussed or are the OP coming back with an update.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.