This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment Questions... Employer wrongfully denying UI bennies? New York

This is a bit of a convoluted question. I believe my employer is trying to deny UI benefits. I was told not to come back to my job because there "was not enough work". I filed for unemployment, but my employer is denying the claim; the state paperwork says my company claims I abandoned my job. My hours were shortened in September to 4 days a week; I take Tuesdays off. The Wednesday of that week they are claiming I abandoned, I was told very specifically not to come in, that the office would be closed for inclement weather. I could not make it in on Thursday, as I was stuck further up north. I called Wednesday night to let my immedate supervisor know; she said it was fine, and agreed that she would see me on Friday of that week. I had always spoken with her and only her about any absences from work. I received a Voicemail on my cell phone from her Thursday morning saying not to come back to work. I called the office to ask why I was being asked not to come back. She stated that there was not enough work; I asked if I was being laid off; she paused, and nervously stated again that there is not enough work. There is a bit of additional background to this story, as far as what I know about worker's comp and OSHA violations. Could anyone point me to a resource, or help me out? I am obviously appealing this, but I want to make sure I have a fighting chance before I pursue it. Thanks!

The employer is not "denying" anything. The state makes the decision. The employer is contesting. If you have already been denied, you can appeal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X