Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

deduction of pay??

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • deduction of pay??

    I work in the collision industry as a flat rate tech ( get paid by the hours on the job). I recently damage some glass in a car and the are going to make me pay for it by deducting the amount of the new glass of that job.Can they do this??

  • #2
    Here is the federal link re wage deductions.

    Here is the N Y law:

    Q: What deductions can be made from an employee's wages?

    A: Section 193 of the Labor Law states:

    1. No employer shall make any deduction from the wages of an employee, except deductions which:

    a. are made in accordance with the provisions of any law or any rule or regulation issued by any governmental agency; or b. are expressly authorized in writing by the employee and are for the benefit of the employee (such as payments for insurance premiums, pension or health and welfare benefits, contributions to charitable organizations, payments for United States bonds, payments for dues or assessments to a labor organization).

    Employers may not deduct from wages the cost of breakage or spoilage of materials; nor may employers make wage deductions in any indirect manner, such as requiring a worker to pay for shortages by means of a separate transaction.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.