This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: dates of employment New York

I was let go from my job via email on Sunday, January 13th.

Since November, my employer had been paying me $2,000 a month flat fee for my services. (I have been working there since April of last year.)

I was paid $2,000 on January 9th, for the month of January.

Question:
    When I apply for Unemployment, should I count January 13 or 14th as the first day I was unemployed? Or, do I start with February 1st? (that is what I think and I would say is "ethically" correct for me to do)

I want to remain in a good relationship with my employer, and I don't want to have problems.

Also, I was underemployed in the months of August, September and October, with some weeks working 8 hrs or less. I did not realize at the time that I might qualify for unemployment. Do I need to furnish proof of this, or does Unemployment as my boss for the information?

Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

"Paying you for your services"? Were you an employee or an independent contractor?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'll explain . .

Thanks for your response.

I am an employee, on "salary".

Originally, I was paid $25/ hr, before deductions taken out, but since November, $2,000 a month after deductions, paid at the beginning of each month.

My boss apparantly has me classified as "household help", which I am NOT, I am an assistant/ receptionist.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You were paid for the month of January on Jan 9? Wow!

For unemployment purposes, you report February 1 as the first day since you have already been paid through Jan 31.

The UI folks will get information about your previous earnings from the tax reports submitted by the employer. They may not have compiled the information for the last quarter of 2007 and, if not, they will ask the employer to total up the wages for that period.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X