This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manditory O/T andSupervisors

I Recently Movet To Up-state Ny From Ri. The Company I Work For Is In Manufacturing.they Say We Have To Work Over-time, However; The Company Policy States We Will Be Notified At Least 4-hrs In Advance If Overtime Is Needed. The Problem Is The Supervisors Do Not Tell Us Until Aprox 10-min Befor Our Shift Ends, And They Say We Have To Work 2-or 4 Hrs Over But They Leave At The Regular Time And Leave Us With No Supervison. In The Event Of An Accident, Someone Could Be In Danger. Question! Is This Legal?

Please don't capitalize every word it makes your post very difficult to read.

What they are doing is comletely legal.
    Last edited by Eng&SafetyMGR; 01-19-2008, 07:55 AM. Reason: typo
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
      What they are doing is comletely legal.
      And that's true irrespective of the fact that company policy says otherwise. Such policies rarely rise to the level of enforceable contractual obligations.

Have you mentioned this policy to your supervisor? What does he/she say?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        And that's true irrespective of the fact that company policy says otherwise. Such policies rarely rise to the level of enforceable contractual obligations.

Have you mentioned this policy to your supervisor? What does he/she say?
        I would like to thank you for all your responses, i dont dare ask the supervisor any questions, the fear in this facility is at defcon 5, everyone fears termination due to the lack of employment in the upstate area.

Comment

The only thing we can tell you then is what they are doing is legal.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Discusted with the labor laws!!!

I have to voice my opinion. Why is there a labor board and why is it that they appear to be protecting the employers of these companys and not the employees? i have been forced to work 12 or more hours a day, plus satuddays and now they wat to force sundays on us. Yea I know this is all legal but what about having a life outside these whipping post employers. I do not want to DIE on the floor of this place of exhaustion also there are no jobs within the 50 miles of my home so im stuck .Other than falling down and hurting myself or driving home exhausted and get into an accident what does the labor board have to say about forced labor, and its legal. If i try to take time off i will be written up if i dont have a doctors note.Sorry but this is not what i signed up for, im 50 yrs old, my party training ended 47 yrs ago. thank you for allowing me to vent, i do enjoy the response information and education.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven PELLEGRINO View Post
              I have to voice my opinion. Why is there a labor board and why is it that they appear to be protecting the employers of these companys and not the employees? i have been forced to work 12 or more hours a day, plus satuddays and now they wat to force sundays on us. Yea I know this is all legal but what about having a life outside these whipping post employers. I do not want to DIE on the floor of this place of exhaustion also there are no jobs within the 50 miles of my home so im stuck .Other than falling down and hurting myself or driving home exhausted and get into an accident what does the labor board have to say about forced labor, and its legal. If i try to take time off i will be written up if i dont have a doctors note.Sorry but this is not what i signed up for, im 50 yrs old, my party training ended 47 yrs ago. thank you for allowing me to vent, i do enjoy the response information and education.
              If you are unhappy with the current laws, lobby your legislative representative to change them.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven PELLEGRINO View Post
                my party training ended 47 yrs ago.
                Your party training?
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  Your party training?
                  I was making light ot the way the company treats its employees, they have so many rules and company policys that are either enforced or only enforced depending on the person whom is violating one of the several childish rules. i have to laugh once in a while and try to share my humor. anyway, Thank you very much for being there and giving me some insite on company policy and the laws that protect them or the employee, i am deeply greatful.

Comment

Terminated as expected

After all these statements i made and tried to help my fellow employees because most are not educated enough to know their rights I have been terminated as/of Jan/31/08 and the reason was that i was overheard making a threat about an employee{ such as cutting there hands off or cutting there head off} this is one of the most lowest acts of revenge an employer will go threw to terminate someone,{ of coarse I did not ever say anything of the sort} i have been trying to get the heat turned on in the warehouse, the paint room can explode at any time, there are chemical spills everywere and people sneak a smoke in the paint booth right next to it. I have contacted all the agencys involved to investigate this disaster, as for me I had allready aquired new employment prior to my termination/ I am so greatful to be out of there, and for you to help me understand some of the employer rights and the lack of employees rights pertaining to employment, forced overtime, written up for silly reasons, being terminated while on doctors care{ yes they terminated the supervisor the same time as me for to much time out on medical leave. anyway, Thank You Very Much For Your Help

Sincerely Steven Pellegrino

Comment

Good luck on the new job. I hope it all works out for you. It sounds like you're a lot better off being out of the old place.
                      "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X