Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

New York- can they do this

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New York- can they do this

    I work for a uniform rental company. We get paid 10% of our routes. When our new general manager took over a couple of months ago, he had to write off thousands in bad debt that the last general manager never wrote off. The comany or the general manager (it unclear which) has made an aggressive move to take back our 10% commisions for monies written off. Some of this money was paid to us over a year ago. Not only do we have language in a union contract stating that they can't back out moneies for services performed. We are also in the dark on what is being written off if anything. Is this legal?? And is this course for legal action against the company??

  • #2
    New York is not my state and some of what you have said does not make much sense, so this is going to be a "soft" answer. Generally speaking, it is not possible to retroactively change pay rates, so if this is what you are talking about, file a wage claim with NY DOL. Might work. Might not work, but it is worth trying. Generally speaking, absent a contract or CBA to the contrary, and subject to minimum wage and other legal requirements, changes to pay rates of a go-forward basis are legal.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.