This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seminars and meetings on days off - non exempt New York

Sorry, I have a lot of questins today...

I seem to have a problem with young employees of mine understanding what is paid time and what is not (well, maybe I have the problem and am not clear when I explain to them? LOL).
    Here is some insight:
    A non-exempt staff member (hourly) lost a company provided cell phone (said it was stolen). She offered to pay to replace it, and I said we would pay. But, SHE put the mileage to go to and from the store to buy the replace ment (a store that was out of the way, and I could have gone)..she also "voluntrily" made cookies for another agency, without being asked and wanted to be reimbursed for the supplies (I said no and explained why_).

NOW, there is an event on SUnday that would be of interest to my staff. I have mentioned it to them, and it is work related, but I do not need them to go, I will go. They (above mentioned employee included) WANT to go.

I do not WANT to pay them to attend. I don't NEED them to attend, I just thought they would be interested.

This same group of people also put in for mileage reimbursement to a local restaurant (3 miles from the office) where we had our holiday lunch, provided by the employer....most people car pooled. I paid the mileage, and didn't say anything.

How do I inform/.enforce WHAT is covered and what is not in terms of their hours, without sounding like an ogre? Do I need to go back and explain prior to sunday that if they WANT to attend, it will not count towards their hours/

Must I do this for EVERYTHING???
    Many of these things seem common sensical to me, but I have very yong staff....

Any advice as to how to handle this would be appreciated, Thanks
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X