X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudy522
    replied
    Thank you very much for your prompt response. I appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• rjc
    replied
    Cart before the horse ...

File first and let the DOL determine your eligibility based on the reasons surrounding your separation. You were discharged, therefore you employer bears the burden to demonstrate willful and deliberate misconduct in order for you to be determined ineligible. Anything they provide in an effort to prove willful misconduct will be disclosed to you in order to offer rebuttal before an initial determination is rendered.

In general, "poor performance" is not grounds for a disqualification because it is almost impossible to prove an employee intentionally performed his/her duties unsatisfactorily.

Leave a comment:

• rudy522
    replied
    The question is not really his intentions. Basically, I am wondering if he is trying to get out of paying me unemployment. Today is the first day the business is closed. All scheduled events are done. Today I get fired. I just think the timing is suspect and am wondering how I could go about presenting it to NYS if I should be denied benefits.

Leave a comment:

• mlane58
    replied
    Originally posted by rudy522 View Post
    I was fired today. According to my boss I was fired for the "numerous mistakes I have made" I have been at the job for less than six months. This is the off season and they typically lay people off because the business is seasonal. Today marks the beginning of the off season and much of the business is closed. My question is, can I collect unemployment? What would be the motivation to fire me for previous mistakes now instead of just laying me off with the other employees at the end of last week?

Thank you for your help.
    No one here can tell you what the motivatuion of the employer is. You can certainly apply for UEI, whether you are granted benefits or not will be up to the state and the reason/s you were terminated and what they deem to be qualifying.

Leave a comment:

• rudy522
    started a topic Fired During Seasonal Layoff New York

Fired During Seasonal Layoff New York

I was fired today. According to my boss I was fired for the "numerous mistakes I have made" I have been at the job for less than six months. This is the off season and they typically lay people off because the business is seasonal. Today marks the beginning of the off season and much of the business is closed. My question is, can I collect unemployment? What would be the motivation to fire me for previous mistakes now instead of just laying me off with the other employees at the end of last week?

Thank you for your help.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X