This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION ABOUT HOLIDAYS? New York

Question: I work Tuesday-Saturday. Christmas this year falls on a Monday, my scheduled day off as does New Years. Do I get a floating vacation daysince the holiday falls on my regularly scheduled day off? (Like getting Monday off when Chrismas or New Years falls on Sunday).

Thanks for your responses!

Only if your company chooses to offer one. The law does not require it.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Only company policy will address this. No laws will.

We would not give you another day off to be used at your convenience, but would pay you holiday pay in addition to whatever other pay you get for the workweek, even though you were off on the holiday.

You can either wait to see what you get in your paycheck or, if you are really curious, ask someone now.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your speedy responses! This place does not have a handbook and considering I got docked for being sick, I highly doubt they would be so generous as to pay me holiday pay when I didn't actually work (they don't pay holiday pay even if you do). Just wondering the legalities, the NY DOL website tends to read like stereo instructions and it's hard to interpret them correctly sometimes.

Comment

For the non-exempt employees of private employers, no law in any state requires that employers offer any paid holidays at all.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

here's another question--part b if you will. if other employees in the same category are given an additional day off--should you too be entitled?? how does that work when company policy isn't in writing?

Comment

"Entitled" is a loaded word. Have you asked?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

you're right "entitled" is a loaded word! No I have not. The supervisor will be in tomorrow and I was told by the comptroller that he is who I need to speak to about this. I just want to get my facts straight because it seems as though, since there is nothing written down, they make up rules as they see fit for each person.

thanks again for your help!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X