Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Two weeks notice is mandatory? New York

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Two weeks notice is mandatory? New York

    I am working in NY state as a software consultant on contract bassis ( Hourly rate) , I get a wonderful new job,
    Situation forced to leave the current job with only one day notice.
    I left the old job and joined new job with one day notice. Is it mandatory to give two week notice?
    Ex employer is NOT paying me two week wages, because I left without two week notice.

  • #2
    Two weeks is a courtesy in most cases. It allows you to be rehired by that company if you need to go back because you left giving the company enough time to replace you.

    Unless you had another contract enforcing a period before quitting, you should be fine. Just don't expect a good reference from them.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

    I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

    Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.


    • #3
      The ex-employer must pay you for any time that you worked, no matter how little notice you gave.

      Should the employer refuse to pay what is owed, file a wage claim with the State Department of Labor (
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.