Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

holding back direct deposit New York

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • holding back direct deposit New York

    my employer pays bi weekly but holds the check an additional week even though i have direct this legal??

  • #2
    The only restriction I see on New York employers is that manual laborers (who must be paid weekly) must be paid within seven days of the end of the weekly pay period.

    If your direct deposit is going into your account on the same day as other employees receive their paper checks, you have no cause to complain.

    Just how long after the end of the pay period are you being paid and how long do you think the employer should have to pay?
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    • #3
      I have a feeling the employer is paying, for example, on a Friday for the two weeks ending the previous Friday. That's called paying "in arrears" and it is excellent business practice. A lot of companies don't explain this well and employees think that their check is being "held" or that the employee is keeping one week "in the hole". That's not what paying "in arrears" means. And except for the weekly requirement ScottB mentioned, such payment "in arrears" is perfectly legal.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.