This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JETBLUE New York

hey guys i work for (airline), and many of us here want to know if the company can actually force us to stay at work even though we have worked 16 hours on the day already, this company and all the management says that even though we have work 16 hours if they need us to stay for mandatory ot that we must stay or be written up.....now this is at jfk new york... please any advise would be greatly appreciated...

No employment laws prohibit that but since you're in a highly regulated industry, there could be FAA or DOT regulations that apply. I don't think any of the regular responders here have that sort of specialized knowledge. You might want to contact those regulatory agencies and see what they say. I expect the answer will also depend upon what positions you and your co-workers hold and whether they are safety-sensitive jobs.

Comment

Please remove the name of your employer from the post or the moderator will delete it. Just one of the rules of the site.

What is your actual job?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

nature of the job

we work as baggage handelers

Comment

In that case there is no public safety issue with you working that many hours. FAA regulations limit the number of hours certain employees may work, but baggage handlers are not among them.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X