Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

State agency/School District HR, Employee Records. New York

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • State agency/School District HR, Employee Records. New York

    Ok, a few questions regarding employee records access, and disciplinary letters.

    I work for a BOCES is this considered a state agency, school district or municipality? (this was cited as a reason for not having to carry disability insurance)

    I am not a member of a bargaining unit.

    I recently was given a letter of discipline that quoted unnamed sources, and was based on a list of "complaints" that were actively solicited by the HR director. None of these "complaints" were actually made to the HR Director, but were complied by others at his request. I can prove that contents of the letter are factually incorrect. Do I have any recourse?

    Who can view employee records?

    Can I require that I be informed of Inquiries to emplyment records, and whenever anyone is granted access?

    The HR director would prefer I use the telephone, but I wanted to ensure our communication was documented so I emailed a request to discuss the document. He declined. I questioned the origins of the document and forwarded the emails to a friend, the HR director now says that I am consulting a legal service and that he will no longer speak with me, he denied my request to view my employee file, and said that I have to send any correspondance or response to the document to a lawyer. It is practice that anyone can view their file by setting an appointment, and responses are placed without any restrictions. Is this disparate treatment?

    My thought is that sending my response to a lawyer would then cause a violation of privacy, as he would have no business viewing this information unless I actually brought legal action.

    What can I do?

    I can't afford an attorney, but am willing to work diligently myself, can anyone point me in the right direction?
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.