This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick time New York

I am forced to take about a month off work for minor surgery. I have plenty of sick time available from my full time job and a note from my Dr. taking me out until further notice. I will be filing Family Medical leave paperwork. I also have 2 part-time jobs with no benefits. Can my full time employer stop me from working the part time jobs while I'm out on sick leave from them?

The answer is "it depends". There have been cases where the courts have held that being on FMLA leave from one job did not prohibit an employee from working another job. Other cases have held that if the company has a "no moonlighting" policy in place, being on FMLA leave does not insulate an employee from being terminated for violating it by working elsewhere while on leave.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Sick Leave

My company handbook does not prohibit moonlighting. They mearly state that you must inform your supervisor of any other jobs. It sounds like I'll be OK once I get the FMLA papers filled out. My supervisor is encouraging me to file for disability, I'm assuming because this would prohibit me from working anywhere. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X