X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know if my case is valid New York New York

I recently separated from my position in the following manner:

After working for my employer for 16 months, my employer decided to micromanage all my work, simply stated everything I did was monitored by a fellow employee, the office manager and my boss. This created an uncomfortable working environment and a hostile working environment resulted. I discussed this with my boss in the beginning after I had experienced yet another public reprimand by the office manager (conveniently the mother of my boss - family run business). No action was taken to try to reconcile the situation fairly - in other words - nothing came of my complaint except that the pressure became worse and the working environment became even more hostile. I began to look for another job but found it rather difficult to keep up my self esteem since I was being belittled at work and then trying to convince propective employers that I was competent. On a saturday 3 months after the micromanagement began - I entered the office with my passkey and cleaned out my desk and then sent a resignation letter a week later. They claim I left without informing them of my resignation and now I am going for an unemployment hearing. Do I have a leg to stand on?

This is not a hostile working environment in the legal definition. I don't disagree that it was poor management and certainly an uncomfortable working environment, but I didn't see any violation of law in your post.

I wouldn't have called that a resignation either. You didn't show up for work for a week, THEN you sent a letter. I'd call that job abandonment.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

what is the legal definition of "hostile work environment"

what is the legal definition of "hostile work environment"?

Comment

A hostile work environment means that you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin etc.). It does not mean merely uncomfortable or unpleasant. Sorry.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X