This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced use of sick/vacation time

This past week the company that I work for handed out a memo telling us that they have decided to close on Monday July 3rd. They also stated that they would be using our sick time or vacation time to pay us for that day.
    This company resides in Suffolk County, New York. I am not sure just
    what the labor laws are concerning this. I don't see the fairness in
    this practice. I feel we should have the option of working on that day
    rather than being forced to use vacation or sick time. Could you
    enlighten me on this? Thanks..

We usually get this question at the end of the year when businesses opt to shut down between Christmas and New Year's. Vacation and sick time are given at the discretion of the employer, and the employer can set parameters on how they are used. While it may be unfair, what your employer is proposing is not illegal.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X