This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrongful termination? New Jersey

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me. It is long so please have patience with me. I was recently "Let go" from my job, not fired according to my boss. I am going on my 4th year working for them. Here is my question:

Can someone be terminated from their job because one of the bosses doesn't like them? I worked for two doctors going on my 4th year now. One of the doctors I have an excellent relationship with and one of them I absolutely detest. However, I have never vocalized that to him and I have always respected him, did my job well. and never crossed a line by making it known to him that I disliked him. If you do not think the sun rises and sets on his head and think he is the best thing that ever lived he gets upset like a child. Keep in mind that NO ONE likes him not even his partner!

I come in to work say good morning, let him do his job and I do mine and talk to him when i need to and that's it bc I am far to busy to bullsh*t. Recently, our office hired consultants. Not only do they suggest corporate restructuring, but their consultants miss "coaching calls" every time. They had 6 in the past 2 months and the woman forgot to call ALL 6 times! The things they tell your company are all common sense things. All of which at some point in my stay with the company I have told them at one point or another. They never listened to me, but spent 60,000 to be told by a company that has done NOTHING for our practice in almost a year!?

On the word of these consultants and the other doctor I was let go not fired according to the doctor. He said that it wasn't because of my performance or because I didn't do a good job but where they want to take their practice they don't think that I would be a good fit. ( I was never a problem for their practice before and all of a sudden I'm not a good fit?) The doctor said that I was good at my job and that I am even over qualified to work there he said I am better then there, but for where the consultants want to take the practice they felt that I wouldn't change my ways to fit the changes they wanted to make to the practice. ( If anyone understands what that means by all means fill me in.)

So I am being let go because I am a good worker, and good at my job? Bottom line is can you be terminated for that?! In my opinion the doctor who doesn't like me asked the consultants to help him make up an excuse to fire me. Can that be done? If I do my job well, people like me, and I am a reliable worker? Any input on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel! lol

Mandy.

Yes, you can be "let go" because you are not a good fit and/or one of the doctor's doesn't like you. You can be let go at any time for any reason except a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

File for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You might want to read the following links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_termination

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I like the links you posted Betty they are very informative. There is no protection for an employee though that it terrible. It is hard to be a great worker and be let go bc one of your employers has a psychosis and needs therapy. It would take forever for me to get into it but it is 100% true. This doctor didn't like me bc I didn't like him and it drove him crazy that I didn't like him. The other doctor told me that for some reason he HAS to have me like him he doesn't know why. lol

But thanks again Betty!! Love the info!
        Last edited by LABella; 02-12-2010, 11:40 AM.

Comment

You're welcome. Sometimes you get a "bad" employer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X