This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-Term Disability New Jersey

I am due March 4th and per my doctor she wants me to go on STD because of my health starting now Jan 8th. I spoke to my compies leave department and he said my job is now 'un job protected' because I am not eligable for FMLA because I only have 1,075 worked hrs for the last 12 month. Ive been with the company for 6 years. So from Jan to April I my lose my job which makes me sick. I know NJ just starting this year with the NJFLA does that help me out any?

I do not care about being paided or unpaid during my time off before and after the baby. I just want a job to re turn to.

I believe that the New Jersey Family Leave Act does not provide employees with time off for their own disabilities. Instead it's intended to provide time after birth or adoption (or to care for other family members). So, it doesn't provide you with job-protected leave before the baby arrives.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Marketeer is correct. It does also include bonding time after the birth. However, NJFLI does not provide job protection. FLI is the program that started this year. It is how you can get some pay while you are on leave.
      http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/fli...info_menu.html

The NJFLA has the same requirements as federal except the NJ version requires only 1,000 hours worked (vs 1,250 for federal) and it DOES provide job protection. The NJFLA has been in effect for some time.
      http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcr/downl...afactsheet.pdf

And state disability is available once you are medically unable to work. Again, SDI benefits are not leave; they are how you get paid when you are on leave.
      http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/tdi..._clt_menu.html
      Pattymd
      Last edited by Pattymd; 01-08-2010, 04:43 PM.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

I called back my HR department and they said I would be approved for NJFLA for the 12 weeks so I feel a lot better.

My only question still is ... For a normal pregnancy NJ says you get 4 weeks before the baby with a doctores note and 6 weeks after and both would go under Short Term Dis. Those 9 weeks I would be off on STD I would not have job protection? I dont think they would fire me but I also know I wouldnt be able to relax either.

I think I'll just work up to my due date and then go on STD for just the 6 weeks after the baby with out job protection and then file for NJFLA for 12 weeks with job protection? That sounds right?

Comment

No. FMLA runs concurrently with STD; it's not an either/or.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

NJFLA is job protected leave - STD is income that you get while you are off on this job protected leave. They run concurrently.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X