Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Terminated while on STD New Jersey

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terminated while on STD New Jersey

    I have been on STD since Feb 6th of this year. This was my 2nd time out. The first time was for 4 weeks. I have not been with the company long enough to qualify for FMLA. I have kept them informed of my status and my doctor's wishes. However, today I got a call from the HR department. They stated that the company has decided to terminate me because I have missed so much time. She then stated that they would like me to "re-apply when my health situation improved". Do you think that I have grounds to question my termination?

  • #2
    No. Your employer has been way more generous than any law requires them to be. There comes a point when they simply can not hold the position any longer. It is a myth that you can not be terminated while receiving STD.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      STD does not offer job protection. It just pays you while you are disabled. When your health condition improves, re-apply for you job as HR suggested.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.