X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Labor Laws Missouri vs. Federal Independent Contractor Status

I am an administrator for a youth sports league that “hires”
    youths ages 14-17 for scorekeeping and referee work in Missouri.

We have always paid them cash. For tax purposes, none of them earn over $600 in a year, so 1099’s are not an issue.

A new directive from the league offices is trying to classify all youths as independent contractors and place the independent contractor rules upon the administrators.

My research on Missouri law tells me that no one under the age of 18 may be classified as an independent contractor.
    Missouri Revised Statute 431.055. I cannot find a federal law that says anything different.

I am trying to figure out how youths under 18 are classified when earning self-employment income in this case.

That law is referring to juveniles not being able to sign contracts, which is normal, but I doubt you are expecting the youths to sign contracts.

So they get "non-employee compensation" for their services.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

So are the 14-17 year olds subject to Independent Contractor regulations?

We are being asked to "contract" with all of the sports officials.

Examples of rules that are being proposed:

1. No one may interfere in the performance of the work done by a sports official.

2. A sports official may not work exclusively for one entity.

3. All sports officials are recognized as Independent contractors.

4. No entity may contract with anyone under the age of 14.

Legally I cannot contract with anyone under 18, so I think that 14-17 year olds should not be subject to these regulations.
      What would be a proper terminology for these non-employees?

Please let me know your opinions.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X