Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

What is the labor law regarding float RNs Mississippi

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the labor law regarding float RNs Mississippi

    I would like to ask if there is a written labor law w/ regards to float RNs?
    I am a float nurse from a dialysis company.I am usually assigned from different
    dialysis facilities in Mississippi.I travel from 30 to as far as 120 miles each way.Equivalent to 30mins-max of 2 hours drive each wayI was paid travel time aside from the travel mileage.Since the new company takeover effective
    2007 we will not be paid travel time.I am wondering if you could give me a feedback about this decision.I don't think its fair since the travel mileage only
    covers ous gas.what about the wear and tear of our vehicle?

  • #2
    I assume that you are paid on an hourly basis and are not an exempt employee.

    I have no idea what your mileage allowance is but if it is over roughly 11 cents a mile, you are getting more than what the gasoline costs you and that excess goes towards compensating you for wear and tear. The IRS allows something like 44 cents per mile right now.

    As for travel time, since you do not appear to have a regular place of business, but go just about anywhere, your time driving from home to your assignment and back is commute time and not required to be paid under FLSA.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.