This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange situation for termination in Mississippi Mississippi

I was recently terminated from a job I worked 17 months. I was a technical support agent at a site with about 300-400 computers. The IT department made a mistake and changed every system and made them unuseable. I had been fixing the computers for over a year, but it is not my job to fix them. I had a solution for the problem in 10 minutes. I told our IT department that I had a solution for the problem, but I wanted an IT position (I was a tech support agent). Our head IT guy promised me a position and I gave him the solution. The next day, I was asked alot of questions about the network without the company telling me what I did wrong, then I was put on suspension. They said I would hear back in 24-48 hours. 5 days later, they call and tell me I am being "seperated" because I am a security threat. When I go to get my last paycheck, I was told it is because I was using the network for personal gain among other things. The reasons they are terminating me are probably going to keep me from receiving unemployment that I need. I hav a copy of the network use policy if that helps. I am wondering, is this company justified in terminating me for the wrong reasons? If not, what can I do about it?
    By the way, our HR guy refuses to tell me any details about why I am fired other than using the network for personal gain.
    Sorry for the long post.

There is nothing illegal with the company firing you, even if you did nothing wrong, sorry.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The main question is the reason they are listing for my termination is wrong. I have not done what they said I did. This will affect my unemployment. Is that wrong in any way?

Comment

If and when you get denied eligibility for unemployment (I figure it is likely that you will), you appeal and the company will need to demonstrate misconduct on your part.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The reason they are listing for your termination is wrong, in your opinion.

They are entitled to theirs. Personally, I'd have fired you as soon as you told me you'd give me the solution only if you were given an IT job.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
            I'd have fired you as soon as you told me you'd give me the solution only if you were given an IT job.
            I think the IT folks recognized they had a vulnerability in their network and the OP had access they had not allowed. Security threat. Maybe they can show that he did something for personal gain, maybe not.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Whether or not they can "prove" for unemployment purposes, that he did something for personal gain or not is irrelevant, in my opinion. From his own description of what he did, they were 100% justified in firing him, whether he successfully convinces the UI office to pay him benefits or not.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X