Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota/More exempt v. non-exempt questions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deevoid162
    replied
    Thanks, I'll do that!

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    The first thing you do is contact the state Dept. of Labor and get their opinion as to whether or not your job duties qualify you as exempt or not. If so, you do nothing, as it is not illegal to pay an exempt employee as nonexempt (the converse is not legal). If you don't qualify as exempt, then you can file a claim for unpaid overtime with the DOL.

Leave a comment:

• deevoid162
    started a topic Minnesota/More exempt v. non-exempt questions...

Minnesota/More exempt v. non-exempt questions...

According to all of the online info I've found on this subject, it doesn't appear that I should be classified as an exempt employee. All of the people in my department/campus (except me) were recently switched from exempt to non-exempt. I have identical duties to those in my company that are now classified as non-exempt, and I am being treated the same as a non-exempt employees (with a set 40 hour per week office schedule, performance expectations that are the same as the non-exempt employees, don't require any special education or skills that are different from them, don't supervise anyone, don't do anything at my own discretion, etc.), but without the benefit of overtime pay or comp time off, as my coworkers receive. What should my next steps in pursuing this issue be? Should I first approach HR and request pay for the significant amount of overtime I've had since the change of status, or just get a lawyer? Since there are one or two others at each of the ten different campuses this company has in the same boat, should I approach this as a possible class action suit? Each campus has about 10 admissions representatives all doing the same thing, one or two of which are classified as exempt, the rest are non-exempt...
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X