This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable cause to quit...get UI Minnesota

I returned to work from vacation. I was demoted and given a paycut due to a complaint made while I was away. I told them I had to put in my 2wks ( I am a single parent who cant afford a paycut). As the day went on I found more documentation of things I was accused of. I was unaware of this documentation and it was not signed by me. I have never been warned or written up at work. I also found my job was posted before I even got back. I ended up leaving the same day, I was so uncomfortable. I feel this was good cause to quit and I should get unemployment. Am I wrong? What are the laws about things like this?

Originally posted by marcya View Post
    I returned to work from vacation. I was demoted and given a paycut due to a complaint made while I was away. I told them I had to put in my 2wks ( I am a single parent who cant afford a paycut). As the day went on I found more documentation of things I was accused of. I was unaware of this documentation and it was not signed by me. I have never been warned or written up at work. I also found my job was posted before I even got back. I ended up leaving the same day, I was so uncomfortable. I feel this was good cause to quit and I should get unemployment. Am I wrong? What are the laws about things like this?
    You generally don't get UI benefits when you quit. You can apply but don't get your hopes up too high. There is nothing illegal done by your employer based on your post.
    You should have stayed working while looking for other employment. You didn't need
    to sign any documentation or have any warnings or write ups before being terminated unless you had a binding employment contract to the contrary.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You state you cannot afford a paycut...how is zero dollars per week going to work out?

You should have considered seeking alternative employment then quitting. I doubt any state revenue officer is going to feel for you quitting because you ddn't think you were earning enough!
      Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by marcya View Post
        ( I am a single parent who cant afford a paycut)
        CatBert is right. If you can't afford a pay cut, what are you going to do if you are denied UI benefits & have no income? Of course; if you are denied, you can appeal
        though there's a good chance you will not win. The "state" will make the decision.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Water under the bridge now, but for future reference, what you should have done was accepted the pay cut and applied for UI to make up some of the difference. You'd have had a much better shot at that.

Also, even if you do get approved for UI, you will likely be receiving less than you would have made if you'd kept working with the pay cut. In my state, the pay cut would have had to have been a minimum of 50% before the unemployment benefits would have EQUALED what you would earn after the pay cut, let alone exceeded it.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X