This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay decrease for base plus commision Minnesota

I was just wondering if it was legal for an employer to lower an hourly wage in the situation of getting an hourly wage in addition to commission.

Maybe yes. Maybe no. A lot more detail would be helpful. What is being sold? Where/how is it being sold?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Appliances are being sold. As far as how they're being sold I'm a little confused on how you want me to answer that. It is in a retail store. Customers come in and we help them select which appliances they want and then ring them up.

Comment

That is what I needed to know.
        - You have to be paid minimum wage for each work week. Period. Commissions cannot change that.
        - Overtime can be complicated. You could be under the so-called normal rules. You could be under the Retail/Service establishment exception to the overtime rules.
        - Those are basically the labor law rules that someone doing your job is subject to. As long as those rules are being followed, and as long as your employer lets you know of any changes prior to the work being done on the new rates, the new changes likely to be legal.
        - If you have an actual contract or collective bargining agreement, then the terms of that agreement could create obligations on the employer past the labor law requirements.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X