This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walk out tabs waitressing Minnesota

Is it legal for a restaurant to charge a server for a tab if a customer left without paying his or her tab?

No employer can make any deduction from an employee’s wages without voluntary written authorization to do so, signed by the employee after the particular debt or loss occurs. Even with permission, no employer can make any deduction that would bring the employee’s gross wages below the minimum wage (see Minnesota Statutes 181.79 and Minnesota Rules 5200.0090).
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response! I'm printing this out and giving it to my manager.

Comment

Originally posted by waitress View Post
        Is it legal for a restaurant to charge a server for a tab if a customer left without paying his or her tab?
        Umm, no, the employer cannot do that without your permission.

The employer can discipline you (including firing you), but they cannot dock your pay unless you say they can.

I am not saying you should be fired or that you should agree to have your pay docked. Just laying out what the possibilities are.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X