Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Same job description, same pay, vastly different work? Minnesota

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Same job description, same pay, vastly different work? Minnesota

    I work in corrections with about 20 other people who all were hired under the same job description/title as corrections officers. Several months ago, 2 employees were given jobs that are over 95 % clerical.
    These 2 still get the same pay and benefits as the rest of us, but they have better hours, weekends off and almost no contact with inmates. These two "jobs" were never posted and interviewed for. They were simply given and have just have evolved.

    There is daily documentation regarding these 2 employees lack of inmate contact, and lack of work under their original job descriptions.
    I feel two new clerical jobs have been "created" with out a posting or interview for these two employees.

    Can our employer do this?
    Thank you.

  • #2
    Unless there is a contract, union or otherwise, that specifically says otherwise, yes, the employer can do this.

    Caveat: IF AND ONLY IF the better terms were given to these two employees BECAUSE OF their race, religion, national origin or other protected characteristic, then the EEOC might be interested. Otherwise, it falls into the "possibly unfair but not illegal" category.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.