This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Leave for a child Minnesota

I work for an airline in Minnesota and have been told that a certain state law does not apply. The Minnesota State Law in question is the one that states that you are allowed to use your accrued sick leave to care for your sick child. My company says that they are governed by the Employee Retirement Income security Act and that this preempts state law. The company has been using this act to deny sickl leave and disciplines for such useage. Any insight?

Thanks.

I did want to point out some clarifying points for you. If you are referring to a one-day sick absence to care for your child, then I suspect that the current company rules in place will apply. If you are referring to an extended absence that potentionally qualifies under FMLA, then caring for you sick child would be a covered absence.

Care to offer additional information?
    Last edited by robb71; 11-20-2006, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Are they saying the sick pay plan is a "retirement" plan governed by ERISA? That would be stretching it, to say the least.

If you work for an airline, are you covered under a union contract?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

While federal law usually preempts state law, that is not the case when the state law is more beneficial for the employee.

Even for a one day absence not covered by FMLA, an employee in Minnesota may use available sick leave for the employee OR for the employee's child.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/fmla.html
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I think Pattymd is on the right track by saying it's a stretch that the sick leave is governed by ERISA. The instances that have occured are single day only and not covered by FMLA. The union contract also does not cover this area.

Thanks

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X