This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Being Paid Timely/Not at All

Hello-I have worked for a small company in Michigan since January 2009. I get paid on a monthly basis, in 2009 I was only paid 11 times, in 2010 I was only paid 11 times and in 2011 my last paycheck was in May. I am at a catch 22, if I complain too much, I may be fired, if I quit I would probably be refused unemployment? I want to keep working but am having problems paying bills, child support etc?

What is the reason for not paying you?

Comment

Money has been tight, too many expenses--------cash flow issues......

Comment

No magic answers here. You can file a wage claim for unpaid wages, if you do not wait too long. (And I do not know what "too long" is in your state). There are limits to just how far back in time a wage claim can go.

However the big problem is with the employer. It is past time to start looking for a better job with a new employer.
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thank you for the info, I am afraid tho if I file a claim I would be fired, and with MI economy jobs are hard to come by. Not sure tho, if I call this a job if I havent been paid in two and a half months.................

Comment

Firing you for making a complaint to the State for unpaid wages is prohibited. If you make a complaint and are fired in retaliation, then the employer is really in trouble.

If you haven't been paid in two and a-half months, I can only guess that the company is in such dire straights that it's hard to imagine them coming up with the amount of money necessary to pay everyone who is due back wages. You really have nothing to lose since you're not being paid - file a claim with the State and start aggressively looking for a new job. Good luck.

Comment

BTW, quitting because you haven't been paid is one of the few reasons an individual may resign and still be eligible for unemployment. The State doesn't expect people to work for free.

Comment

Playing devils advocate a moment........if I would resign, would a future employer look at me bad in today's environment of protraying your self as a company man poorly for not waiting until the company made good on the payroll??

Comment

There is no way to predict what a future employer might think. If you are concerned you can always stay this job until you find another.
                  I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by rdavid13 View Post
                    Playing devils advocate a moment........if I would resign, would a future employer look at me bad in today's environment of protraying your self as a company man poorly for not waiting until the company made good on the payroll??
                    Nobody has a crystal ball but employers don't expect people to work for free either (except the one you work for.) Resigning because you haven't been paid for two and a-half months is a completely understandable and valid reason to quit your job. I can't imagine a prospective employer having an issue with this. Frankly, if I were a prospective employer, I'd be impressed with your diligence in continuing to work for them as long as you did - WAY beyond the call of duty.

Comment

Past that, whatever else you do, START LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB NOW. If you want to quit, fine, but I do not see the point. I would argue do not quit, but very actively start looking for work. Worse case is your employer fires you, which is arguably a good thing. Yes, it is illegal to fire you for filing a wage claim, but that presumes that the state agrees with you. Why not file a wage claim, because there is no functional downside. Same for quitting for non-payment of wages. I am not saying quit, and I am not saying don't quit. I am saying it is a "who cares".

Whatever happens with the wage claim and whatever happens with a UI claim, it is very past time to start looking for a new job.
                      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

wage claim Mi. info -

http://michigan.gov/documents/cis/Em...e_212327_7.pdf
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X