This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI eligible if I quit. Michigan

To try to make a long story short. I've been employed SAME POSITION, SAME COMPANY, since 2006. Since my hire, I was illegally being paid as in IC. my pay was the same weekly salary until 2008 and 2010 when they added more mandatory hours (tapping out near 50). No overtime offered but was cut hourly on anything under it worked. Someone FINALLY contacted the DOL on them. Because of this, hours are set to 43, with 3 being "for lunch". All was well and back to normal when the secretary (who also payroll) called me to tell me the owner said to cut me down $50 a week ($1.0/hour) because... HE THINKS I MAKE TO MUCH! after informing him it's been my pay for over 5 years he said he didn't give a ****, and if I did to tell me he can find another piss- on or illegal to do my job. A week later, with NO NOTIFICATION, surprise... Now were being paid bi-weekly!!

My first "new paycheck" is $150 less then it was before he cut my wages. I know before I wasn't being taxed so it is also taking alot out. But this is NOT enough money and truthfully is. Paring me more in gas to get here than I'm even taking in.

If I were to quit, would it be enough cause to be eligible for UI benefits? I know it has to be for a reason beyond your control. I would say quitting because your boss cut 30% of your salary because his *** finally got caught paying people illegally would be a reason beyond my control (at least in my mind).

And do you think that unemployment will pay you more than 70% of your previous wage?

EVEN IF you can quit and get UI (and I am not saying you can), the UI benefit would likely be smaller than you would be getting even after the wage cut.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by My2Michaels0806 View Post
      To try to make a long story short. I've been employed SAME POSITION, SAME COMPANY, since 2006. Since my hire, I was illegally being paid as in IC. my pay was the same weekly salary until 2008 and 2010 when they added more mandatory hours (tapping out near 50). No overtime offered but was cut hourly on anything under it worked. Someone FINALLY contacted the DOL on them. Because of this, hours are set to 43, with 3 being "for lunch". All was well and back to normal when the secretary (who also payroll) called me to tell me the owner said to cut me down $50 a week ($1.0/hour) because... HE THINKS I MAKE TO MUCH! after informing him it's been my pay for over 5 years he said he didn't give a ****, and if I did to tell me he can find another piss- on or illegal to do my job. A week later, with NO NOTIFICATION, surprise... Now were being paid bi-weekly!!

My first "new paycheck" is $150 less then it was before he cut my wages. I know before I wasn't being taxed so it is also taking alot out. But this is NOT enough money and truthfully is. Paring me more in gas to get here than I'm even taking in.

If I were to quit, would it be enough cause to be eligible for UI benefits? I know it has to be for a reason beyond your control. I would say quitting because your boss cut 30% of your salary because his *** finally got caught paying people illegally would be a reason beyond my control (at least in my mind).
      I remember reading somewhere on the Michigan UIA website that the maximum paid benefit is $362 per week. I can't locate the link at the moment but that did stick in my mind when I helped a friend of mine with his UIA claims.

Comment

Depending on how much your pay was cut by and the mood of the people in the UI hearing that day, you could have a case for constructive discharge if you do quit.

If you are making below MW now (or did for any work week), file a claim with your state's DOL.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X