This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Alternitive ways to pay over time

Ok every one I am a college student writing a paper on "alternative ways to pay overtime"

I came across this site and found if very interesting. I have bookmarked it for future use. Back to my paper. I am looking for laws on how you can and can not pay over time pay in MI and the alternatives ways that it can be paid out?? I know of being in the building trades or OT pay would be held and payed out over winter months when we were laid off or had short pay as it is slow working up here in the winter. Weather this is legal or not I am not sure. I am holding a "B" in this class and want to push it over to an "A" so any help and/or personal experiences would be very welcome. Thank you every one for any and all help that you offer and give.

Steve

We normally don't do homework, but you were honest in admitting that's what you were doing, and the Steelers aren't playing today (I now live in PA, don't let the "MD" in my moniker fool you), so in this one case, I don't mind helping. I will PM you with my qualifications.

Although there are different ways of calculating overtime premiums (the "half-time" portion of time-and-a-half), and there are a number of exceptions to whether overtime pay is even required or not, once it is determined that the overtime IS, in fact, due, there are really no "alternatives", except in the public sector.

You mention construction and "holding overtime pay" for payment later. I can guarantee you that is an illegal practice in private industry.

Let's start here. Are you familiar with the Fair Labor Standards Act? And have you been on the state Dept. of Labor web site?
    Last edited by Pattymd; 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      We normally don't do homework, but you were honest in admitting that's what you were doing, and the Steelers aren't playing today (I now live in PA, don't let the "MD" in my moniker fool you), so in this one case, I don't mind helping. I will PM you with my qualifications.

Although there are different ways of calculating overtime premiums (the "half-time" portion of time-and-a-half), and there are a number of exceptions to whether overtime pay is even required or not, once it is determined that the overtime IS, in fact, due, there are really no "alternatives", except in the public sector.

You mention construction and "holding overtime pay" for payment later. I can guarantee you that is an illegal practice in private industry.

Let's start here. Are you familiar with the Fair Labor Standards Act? And have you been on the state Dept. of Labor web site?
      I have been to or local MI state sites and have read up on it and that is were I am getting confused as "holding pay" as in paying at 1.5 as in comp time? Now as I understand it that is legal? That is more along of the lines I meant by holding OT pay? Hope that is clearer? I do not fully understand this but as I was told(I did not work for this co) They paid there OT as comp time over the winter as such so they were not considered LO and lose there health benefits and have to be on unemployment?

I have ran into a lot of PA people that are neg LOL I am thinking you can change that out look for me.

Comment

Comp time is NOT allowed in the private sector. It IS allowed in the public sector, subject to some limitations.

The operative word is PAY.
        http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs23.pdf
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

There also might be something here, if you can find the "laws" site.
          M.C.L. ยงยง408.472,
          408.484, 408.485,
          408.486, 408.488

This article also may (or may not) be of interest.
          http://www.payroll-taxes.com/article...Workweeks.html

Comment

Ty will look into it

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X