This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boss is trying to make me quit Michigan

First, some background: My boss and I are both Managers, but I am under her direct supervision (she is the Operations Manager and I am the Accounting Manager) She & I do not get along and have recently had an altercation that lead me to submit a complaint to the HR department claiming she was creating a hostile work environment.

A small exerpt from my complaint sent to the HR Department:
    "It is not an unusual occurrence to overhear Michelle berating an employee in her cubicle, which, I remind you, is located in the corner of the main open office. On more than one occasion, the employee would be in tears and Michelle would not take the meeting behind closed doors. This information would be confirmed if you spoke with any other employee in our office that reports to Michelle. It is Michelle's management style to degrade and belittle employees to the point of emotional distress. It's always been uncomfortable and hostile however, with these last turn of events, it's become unbearable. I feel that these attacks being directed at me are affecting my abilities to properly function at work as well as in my personal life, which is why I am now contacting you."

After the altercation, I was bombarded with emails from my supervisor. Among them, she asked for step-by-step processes on how to do my position, (literally keystroke by keystroke w/form examples, etc.), as well as passwords to gain access to my computer.

Is my boss entitled to my password for my computer?
    Let me say that I have nothing to hide. This is not a case of me using email for personal reasons at work, or anything else. She claims that she needs the password saying "There have been times I needed to get information and haven’t been able to". This is complete bullsh**. All of my work product is saved into a shared directory that she has access to. Really, I have nothing to hide, but she is just flaunting her authority, and probably just going to snoop around in my computer and Outlook email. I would not put it past her to try to find a way to sabotage me. Do I have to give it her my password for my computer? I do not see anywhere in the Employee Handbook allowing her to have that information.

Also, she's asked me to provide her with step-by-step, (literally keystroke-by-keystroke, with form examples) guide on how to do my job. Am I legally required to supply her with such detail or can I just give her a bullet point type of outline?

And she is now burying me in special projects telling me that I need to work whatever hours are needed to meet deadlines. Is she able to do that? I am salaried and already work an hour or so over every day. Can she force me to work 10 hour days and also on weekends?

She is doing everything in her power to make my life miserable here and force me to quit. I'd have difficulty collecting unemployment benefits until finding a new job if I quit. At this point, it's become so unbearable I wish they would fire me because she is a completely horrible supervisor that I no longer wish to work with/for.

To go above her and report her behavior to her boss (the VP), would be pointless as she was copied in alot of the emails sent to me and is, I believe, who my boss is getting her direction from so it is my belief that between the 2 of them, they are doing their best to make it so bad for me that I will quit.

All genuine/helpful responses are welcome and appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM.

A Hostile work environment has a specific meaning in law. It refers to being treated differently due to a protected characteristic such as being treated differently due to your race, gender, national origin etc.

Yelling at another employee. While this is not good management technique, nothing legally requires this manager to take employees elsewhere to counsel or discipline them or even speak to them in a nice tone of voice.

Your computer is company property so the company or your manager are entitled to all your passwords. In fact, in many companies, you are required to give your password to your manager any time you change it.

If your manager wants step by step instructions on how you do parts of your job, there is nothing in the law that prohibts this. Why would there be? If she wants step by step and you provide bullets, in my company, you would be subject to discipline for not obeying a reasonable request of a supervisor. At worst, it could be considered insubordination if you know what the manager wants and deliberately give her something different.

You can be expected to work as long as necessary to get the job done. If you are non-exempt, you are not legally entitled to additional pay. If you are non-exempt, you can still be expected (and required) to work additional hours but must be paid appropriately (OT included).

Since nothing in your post indicated your job duties, I cant say whether you should be considered exempt or non-exempt. "salaried" is a totally separate concept from exempt and non-exmpt legally.

Good luck.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Do I have to give it her my password for my computer? I do not see anywhere in the Employee Handbook allowing her to have that information.
      Yes. The employee handbook can't cover every possible situation. She's your boss.

Also, she's asked me to provide her with step-by-step, (literally keystroke-by-keystroke, with form examples) guide on how to do my job. Am I legally required to supply her with such detail or can I just give her a bullet point type of outline?
      The law does not prohibit her from requiring you to provide this information. She's your boss.

And she is now burying me in special projects telling me that I need to work whatever hours are needed to meet deadlines. Is she able to do that? I am salaried and already work an hour or so over every day. Can she force me to work 10 hour days and also on weekends?
      Yes, she can do that. She's your boss.

See where I'm going here?

Obviously, her management style is not a problem for HER boss.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X