This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment During College?

I am currently employed as a CAD drafter and have been with the same company for 6 years. I do not have a college degree and due to that fact, I have found it very hard to find a better job.

Not only have I reached the ceiling (hourly pay) at my current job, my boss (company owner) and I are in a falling out and I don't foresee myself being here much longer.

I am currently enrolled in Community College to pursue an Associates Degree in Architectural CAD; at the moment I am taking 2 classes totaling 5 credit hours.

With that said, this is my question: Am I eligible for extended unemployment benefits if I return to College full time?

Currently I have 14 credit hours (of 64) completed and feel I could double-down and take 12-15 credit hours per semester and be done with my Associates Degree in just over 1 year. I do not believe my household (wife, no kids) could sustain itself financially if I am not eligible for benefits throughout the remainder of my education.

I understand that I would be required to "search for a job" while receiving benefits, but I have been repeatedly turned away by potential employers due to my lack of a college degree.

Can anyone offer some advice on how I might be able to peruse this adjenda? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

If you are attending classes during the hours that your type of work is normally done (that would generally be days), UI is unlikely. If you are going to school at night and could accept another job offer for a day job, that's better. However, you almost certainly aren't going to qualify for benefits at all if you quit.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
      Are your benefits exhausted?
      JoeC
      I have not applied for benefits. I am currently employed (6 years with same company) but the relationship with my boss is near it's end.

I have tried for the past 2 years to find new/better employment but the majority of my industry requires a college education and I am continually turned away due to lack of a degree.

I want to quit my job and resume college full time (5 semesters remaining) but it will not be financially feasible if I do not qualify for benefits throughout those 5 semesters.

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
      However, you almost certainly aren't going to qualify for benefits at all if you quit.
      He's close to firing me; we hate eachother. Is there a difference if I am fired rather than if I quit?
      Last edited by MOMOwheeler; 05-22-2008, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Absolutely, there is a difference. Generally speaking, if you are fired, you're going to qualify by reason. However, my prior response applies. If you go to school full-time days and your profession is one that normally works days, the chances of being granted benefits are virtually nil. That's because you would not be able to accept a job offer if it required working days, which your profession certainly does.

The state is not inclined to pay you to not work and go to school instead. The whole idea of unemployment benefits is to tide you over WHILE you are looking for work and UNTIL you find a job, not INSTEAD of looking for work.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

That makes sense, thank you. I hadnt entertained this notion before as common sense seemed to dictate that it was not applicable. But last night I was talking to a guy between classes and he said that he had been collecting benefits for 2+ years while attending school; so naturally I thought that there might be a way to do it.

To be perfectly frank, I do not believe in unemployment. Unfortunately though I am in a unique situation in that I will never find a better (or even equal) paying job without a degree. At the same time, the notion of riding out 3+ more years at this employer while attending college part time is unacceptable to me.

Thank you for your replies - if you have any added advice in general I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Lots of people go at night. It takes longer, but it's not disqualifying for UI benefits. "Extended benefits", which appear to be available in your state, are generally for workers whose TYPE of jobs are eliminated/outsourced to other countries. They aren't generally available just because.

Comment

Ok. Thank you very much once again for the help. I'll try to remember to come back and update this topic if my situation changes.

Comment

But last night I was talking to a guy between classes and he said that he had been collecting benefits for 2+ years while attending school

He is either lying or committing fraud. Even with extended benefits, 2 years is FAR longer than anyone can collect legally.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok TY. It did sound too good to be true... and Mom always said that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

Comment

Originally posted by MOMOwheeler View Post
                    Ok TY. It did sound too good to be true... and Mom always said that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.
                    Yep. Believe your mother.

Comment

Joe has a point but you couldn't just work for a few weeks and quit, work for a few weeks and quit. Each and every job would have to end for a reason that qualifies the employee for benefits, and I suspect that if it happened too often, the state would get suspicious. Mine sure would.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Agreed. I live in a seacoast town - see it with fishermen all the time. I'm just letting the OP know that it's not something he can "arrange" to happen.

Comment

reduced hours

a person CAN collect enemployment while still employed if said persons hours have been reduced from full time to under 14 hours (I believe) maybe thats what your classmate is talking about

Comment

FMB, please do not reply to old questions/threads. The original poster has not been back & posted on this forum since 5-08. Thanks.
                            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Ummm to the guy that started this, Ive seen numerous references to being able to collect unemployment in NY, while going to school. And even in some cases where people are eligible for additional funds to help cover the costs of schooling. Would advise maybe anonymously talking with someone from the unemployment office about it. I mean cant hurt you to call, plus visit or call the states dept of labor and talk to someone there. Also a way to save yourself alot of cash, .... google CLEP. Dont know if it still applies to your case and school or not, .. but worth taking a look at. gd luck and so forth.
                              Last edited by whateverblahblah; 04-12-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X