Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massachusetts - Resign or Quit after Mat Leave...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts - Resign or Quit after Mat Leave...

I've worked at my company for 10 years, it is about 50 people. Before my maternity leave, my friend who is also my boss agreed to let me return at 4 day work week but at 20% pay cut. I was also cut 20% back in October 2008, stupid me never got it in writing, however didn't think it would be an issue given my tenor and my relationship w/ boss. Well now he is renegging on the deal saying he doesn't "recall" agreeing to this. I cannot afford childcare for that 5th day, nor do I have any childcare lined up as I based everythign on that 4 day work week. I asked to move into different role/dept he said there aren't any opening. I've tried every angle to make this work but they are refusing to budge. What is bothering me is that they currently allow someone in my same position w/ same title and less tenor a 4 day work week - and there are several other employees w/ flex schedules (i.e part time/4 day work week with one day from home, etc). He claims that moving fwd he's not allowing this anymore but there isn't anything in the employee manual that states these ppl are grandfathered into whatever deal they worked out - so it's not an equal and fair workplace. I cannot work 5 days, do you think that I could still collect unemployment if I quit due to no childcare, or am I better to go back and just call in each friday until they fire me, and even then do I have a chance of collecting? I'm supposed to go back on Monday and this all came up today and I'm having a panic attack over it - Please help/advise!!!

Quitting your job is never a good thing to do if you want to collect unemployment; however blatant misconduct isn't going to do you a whole lot of good either.

Is there anyone other than your friend that you can speak to at the company? Unfortunately what he is doing is unfair, and unfriendly, but not illegal.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I wouldn't quit, you generally don't get UI benefits when you quit.

Your employer isn't doing anything illegal as long as you aren't being discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (age, religion, gender) or unless you would have a binding employment contract to the contrary. Your employer doesn't have to work around your childcare issues.

Sorry.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X