Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Massachusetts illeagal pay witholding-no w-4???

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Massachusetts illeagal pay witholding-no w-4???

    I work for a small restaraunt, used to be paid in cash. 2 weeks ago, the owner said he had to start paying us by check.When I was given the check, I was shown a stub, which had no date on it, just my ssn and the different deductions, and told the 0wner had to keep tthe origiooooanal. I think he paid a bookkeeper to do the figures 1 time, then the owner just makes a copy, desn't give the employeee a copy , and here's the kicker...when I said I needed a stub every week with the dates printed on the stub, they made a big stink, I havn't gotten any stubs yet, plus did not get paid on sat, I was told the owner had a "fight" with the accuntant, and would pay me monday(today). By the way, I never signed anything like a w-4. But I was told the accountant is sending the money t the gvt once a month. They assure me I will get my money back, but I think they are keeping it.Any advice? Nancy

  • #2
    File a complaint with the Attorney General's office, which serves as the Dept. of Labor in your state. The employer is require to provide a statement with each payment of wages, showing pay date, hours worked, hourly rate, and the nature and amount of all deductions.

    You can download a W-4 from the IRS website here, complete it, and turn it in to your employer. They have 30 days to put it into effect. Taxes currently being withheld are, I'm assuming, at least FICA and Medicare, but without the required pay statement, I'm just guessing.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.