This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break or Lunch Laws?!? Maryland

This is a different post. I have read through all the prior posts regarding this subject and have not found a "real" answer. All I have found is the obligiatory response that Maryland does not require breaks/lunch for employees 18 or over.
    My question is very simple, but I am guessing the answer is not. My question is Why???? Why does Maryland feel that they do not have to protect people that live and are employed in their state? Don't these people get state taxes taken out of their paychecks? Why are there at least 20+ states that do protect their employees and give them at least 20 mins. to eat or relax?
    Why? I know what the law says...but WHY is that way? It really seems unfair.

You're asking the wrong people. No one here writes the laws or votes on their passage. We have no way of knowing why the MD state legislature has not passed a law requiring breaks.

If you want to see such a law passed, the way to do it is to lobby your elected representatives for change.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by HungryEmp View Post
      I have read through all the prior posts regarding this subject and have not found a "real" answer. All I have found is the obligiatory response that Maryland does not require breaks/lunch for employees 18 or over.
      The "real" answer has been there all along. It's not an "obligatory response". We don't make the laws, as cbg says, we just report what they are (or aren't, as the case may be).
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Even though not required by law, there are employers in Md. & other states that do not require meal and/or rest breaks that do give them.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

There is no law because House Bill 1058/Senate Bill 585 were defeated last Spring. If you want the law changed, contact your legislative representative. http://mlis.state.md.us/index.html#subs
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X