This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personnel Files Louisiana

Can I see my personnel files from my former employer? If so, can I make copies and dispute information?

Louisiana law does not address this so the answer to all three questions depends on your employer's policies.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Are you sure?

I've seen several sources that list Louisiana as one of a handful of states that give employees the right to either see, copy, and/or dispute information in their personnel files, but that's all I can find out. Nothing specific about Louisiana law.

Comment

All I can tell you is that I have a commercially published list of states with such a requrement and a summary of the laws for each of those states. Louisiana does not appear on that list. If there is such a law, it has been passed since my list was published. I do not dispute that this is a possibility.

When I get a chance I'll do more research.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I have two references. One says: School employees must be allowed access to their personnel files (parish & city school systems). Former employees - no statutory right.

Other says: Employees have a right to access records relating to any confirmed positive drug tests and any records relating to the results of any relevant certification, review, or suspension/revocation of certification proceedings. In addition, any current or former employee or the employee's designated representative has the right to access employer records of employee exposure to potentially toxic materials or harmful physical agents, and to employee medical records and any analyses made using employee exposure or medical records.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Betty - one reference I found suggested that public employees may have the right to access their files but that private employees do not. Accepting that there is limited access as you have indicated, do you have anything further to that point?

Comment

I don't in the two references I posted - I'll check around & if I find anything re public employees, I will post it.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I couldn't find anything. My reference re school employees gives a statute # of La. 17.1231 - the other is just from a reference of mine that gives no statute #.

Barry - can you give us the sources you have - do they apply to all employees & all records? You noted nothing specific about La. law.

Comment

Thanks, ladies

The Louisiana Workforce Commission responded to this question. Your answers pretty well cover the extent to which Louisiana values employee rights.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X