This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana-given a non-compete to sign

I work for a family company, in which I own a percentage of the company. The majority is owned by one of my siblings. I've been working for our family business for more than 20 years, but I was just given a non-compete to sign which states if my employment terminates I am unable to perform this same type of business in specific parishes (which many are named) in Louisiana along with several counties in Mississippi for a period of 2 years. I am a sales person for our family business. I am not paid anywhere near the industry standard in this industry, but I've always felt a loyalty to stay with the business my father began from absolutely nothing almost 50 years ago.

I am not being given time to have an attorney review the contract since I've been given only a couple of days to return it signed, or I may not have a job. I also have to add, all managers are currently attending a company wide meeting. I was given the contract at the end of the first day, and was told it had to be returned by the end of the final day of our meetings. I am feeling coerced into signing something that I should be given time to review. What are my legal rights? Please help me with some advice. I'm running out of time.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Maria G; 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM. Reason: "add" spelled wrong

If you don't have time to have it reviewed by an attorney, your only choices are to sign it or not sign it with possible consequences. I would certainly try to have it reviewed by an attorney. Non-competes are enforceable in La. if worded correctly.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

How old are you, and what are you being given in exchange for your signature?

How many mile radius are they asking you NOT to work in?

Out of curiosity, how can you be fired from a business that you are part owner of?? Okay, so your sibling says that you can no longer perform the job that you are doing, but they can't ban you from the premises....YOU ARE PART OWNER.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X