This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Compete contracts in Kentucky Kentucky

I have been working for a company that has all of the sudden decided they wanted all employees to sign a non-compete contract. Can they do this "after the fact" of the initial hire?

How well does a non-compete hold up in Kentucky? If i were to lose this job, I would be really hurting as I am single and solely responsible for myself. (I have grown kids still in college and help them as much as I can).

Can they fire an employee that refuses to sign the non-compete which should have been disclosed at the time of initial hire rather than suddenly wanting to implement this?

Shouldn't this just be for new hires and clearly stated in their offer letter? Thank you for any advice.

Kentucky will normally enforce non-competes that are reasonable in scope & purpose. You might take it to an employment or contract attorney for review before signing it if you have any questions.

I don't believe it is illegal to ask for a non-compete to be signed "after the fact" (after hire). However; if you’ve already signed an employment contract, an employer usually can’t then turn around and ask you to sign a non-compete—the logic being that all conditions of employment should have been spelled out in the initial agreement. If all you have is an offer letter, I don't know if that will rise to the level of a contract. Talk to an attorney.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you Betty. When I was hired, I spent a day at the corporate office and went through a day of signing papers. The HR department sat down with me and explained all the papers to me as I signed each one of them. So I did not just get the offer letter and within everything I signed there was NOT a non compete contract that I signed. does this make a difference?

Comment

Why don't you talk to an attorney in your state & see what they think.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          Why don't you talk to an attorney in your state & see what they think.
          Simple answer to that one. Money! I do not make enough to be able to consult with an attorney; that is why I am on this site; hoping for some sound advice from someone in "the know".

Comment

You can get a free or very low-cost consultation with an attorney through the Lawyer's Referral Service of your state Bar Assoc. I've done this three times, once it was $35 for a half-hour meeting, the other two times it was a phone consultation and review of faxed documents for free.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X