This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Labor Law Help Kentucky

My daughter is 16 and working at a XXXXX. State law says she can only work until 10:30 but they work her to 11:00 each night. I'm wondering if I say something to the bosses if she will get fired. If she gets fired do I have any recourse?

Anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by foe3643; 08-06-2008, 03:54 PM. Reason: Removed business name ;-)

That's only on a day preceding a school day. Even if the employer IS in violation, YOU don't say anything to the employer (and please remove the name of the employer from your post). And YOU don't have any recourse. If SHE reports a violation of law to the proper authorities, in this case the state Dept. of Labor, and SHE is fired in retaliation, then SHE may have recourse.
    http://www.labor.ky.gov/ows/employme...childlaborlaw/
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks

Patty Thanks. I removed the business name and yes today is the second school night in a row that is she required to work until 11:00. Usually this business seemed good about following the laws so I'm just wondering if it may be because the school year just started and they aren't in the 'swing' of it yet.

Comment

Could be. School's started already? Is it possible they don't know that?

Maybe she could print out the rules I linked you to and point that requirement out to her supervisor.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

We live in Southern Kentucky and school always starts the first week of August and then the kids are out by Memorial Day. I'm from the North so that seems strange to me. We never started school before Labor Day. Just different...

Comment

Wow that is early. And I hear griping that the teachers and 10 month staff start reporting next week. The little darlings start back the week after. I might just have to point out that if they lived in KY, they'd have been back for weeks.

In any event, her managers may not realize she has started back to school or that she is still a minor. I'd suggest she politely mention to her manager or whomever does the schedule that as school has resumed, and she is 16, that she may not work past 10:30.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X