Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Unemployment from CA to KY Kentucky

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unemployment from CA to KY Kentucky

    Can my sister-in-law quit a job in California to move back to Kentucky to be with family, and draw unemployment benefits?
    Last edited by Viktorius; 08-05-2007, 07:53 PM.

  • #2
    You can only get unemployment benefits if you are fired or laid off - not if you decide to quit on your own.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      On this webpage, I found this:

      Q Can a person draw UI if they quit?
      A Assuming the claimant has sufficient wage credits to establish a claim, he
      or she may be qualified to receive benefits if they voluntarily left their
      employment with good cause attributable to the employment and there
      are no other eligibility issues present.

      What could be considered "good cause attributabel to the employment"?

      Her parents are ill and she is needed in KY


      • #4
        That would include such things as the hours or conditions of work changing significantly from the time the person was hired. Or the work it self changed significantly. Or the number of hours was dropped significantly.

        Leaving work for personal reasons (such as a sick mother) regardless of how necessary, does not generally fall undering Unemployment in most states.

        I'm not familiar with CA of KY so I'll let others with more knowledge reply to that.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson


        • #5
          That is not attributable to her employment. Her employers did not make her parents ill.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.