Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Bouncing paychecks...advise.

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bouncing paychecks...advise.

    I recently took a job as a bookkeeper for a Web design firm in Iowa.
    Our paychecks are bouncing. We are in our second round in 30 days. First, I am of course quickly looking for a new job. But in the mean time what can I and other employees leagally do?
    I don't believe we can quit, and recieve unemployment, so we are trapped working for "bad checks" until we each find new jobs.
    Any legal advise. One thing I do know is that company moral is completely gone.

  • #2
    Bouncing PayChecks

    Tou may file a wage claim with the Iowa Division of Labor or, if you prefer, you may contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage & Hour offices. The Iowa telephone numbers are:

    Des Moines (515) 284-4625
    Cedar Rapids (319) 362-8074
    Davenport (563) 324-2038
    Sioux City (712) 252-2907
    Waterloo (319) 233-2903
    Lillian Connell

    Forum Moderator


    • #3
      Bouncing Paychecks

      Per Iowa Administration Code 871 chapter 24. Bouncing paychecks and trouble being paid are a good cause to quit attributal to an employer and would allow you to receive unemployment. It is always best to first put an employer on notice that you plan to quit if the problem is not corrected and then if the problem happens again you have to make a decision and go with it.


      • #4
        You replied to an old thread from 2005. I think the poster has taken care of their problem by now.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

        Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.