This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

I've heard that the Green Ridge Mining Act of 1989 allows for unemployment compensation even if one receives severance. There have been several former employees of my company who have cited the act.

Could anyone speak to that?

I find it interesting that when I Googe the phrase in quotes, that this is the only hit I get. Do you have any reason to believe that the law even exists? Is it a federal law? A state law? If so, which state?

Anything is possible but if this is a real law the people who claim it actually exists should be able to point you to a website that discusses it.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Someone may come along & know the answer to your question. I don't know of the act & didn't do a google search. You might call the UI office in your state of Indiana & ask.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

DAW, you & I were typing our posts at the same time but you got yours submitted off first.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
          I find it interesting that when I Googe the phrase in quotes, that this is the only hit I get. Do you have any reason to believe that the law even exists? Is it a federal law? A state law? If so, which state?
          Interesting, indeed, that it's so difficult to Google.

If it is law, it would be Indiana State law. So far, I've managed to discover this... Green Ridge Min. v. Unemp. Ins. Bd., 541 N.E.2d 550 (Ind. App. 1989).

Comment

That's not a law, that's a court case; XX versus YY.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I know that.

I wondered how this court case affected the law, as the mention of it has appeared to make a difference.

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

You really need to read the case as it didn't have anything to do with severence.
                Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Exactly. I haven't found this case posted online. (Not that I would expect it to be.) Had I found the case, I would have read it and not brought the question here.

mlane58, do you have access to it that you could share with me?
                  I've only found a reference to "Green Ridge Min. v. Unemp. Ins. Bd." made within another case.

I'm just baffled that so many former employees of the company for which I work have claimed to cite this case, garnering unemployment benefits back to the time of termination despite their severance pay. I Googled... ended up here... and thought someone might have some knowledge about it. A shot in the dark, I know!
                  Last edited by Lanee; 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: grammar...

Comment

Google is your friend - found it in 0.52 seconds

http://www.ai.org/judiciary/opinions...180001.ehf.doc

Comment

WAYNE AARON, ET AL. vs. REVIEW BOARD OF THE INDIANA ??

Comment

Sorry about that as my search brought that up and I didn't pay attention, but the bottom line is that it still didn't have anything to do with severence. What I did find was that the court held that a $15,000 payment from an employer to an employee to settle a suit for alleged unlawful discharge did not disqualify the claimant from unemployment benefits---not severence.

I can't find the entire text of the case. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Your time is much appreciated, mlane. This has been a head-scratcher for me with every downsize over the past year.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X