Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

12 wk FLMA Rule Indiana

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12 wk FLMA Rule Indiana

    I understand that a company does not have to keep you after you have exceeded 12 weeks of FMLA. I am ill and am fearful of the 12 wk mark. If they let me go due to FMLA/short term disability would I be entitled to unemployment benefits? I have more than a decade with a major company. I only have become ill within the past year.
    Thank you.

  • #2
    You are correct that they can terminate you if you are unable to return after your 12 wks. of job protected FMLA has elapsed.

    In order to get unemployment, you need to be willing & able to work & looking for employment.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      FMLA and short term disability are two different things. They can and often do run concurrently, but they are not the same.

      Just because you've run out of FMLA does not mean that STD automatically stops. In fact, even if your employment is terminated it does not mean that your STD automatically stops.

      It is quite unlikely that you would be able to collect unemployment if you are still too ill to work. But it is also quite unlikely that your STD benefits will not continue.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.