Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Terminated for underage drinking while i was off duty

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terminated for underage drinking while i was off duty

    I was recently fired from my management position at a local restaurant/bar chain. On my day off, I was drinking & eating at the restaurant and the BAR manager came up to me and said, hey those girls over there are underage and they are drinking, what should I do? I said, I don’t know, I’m not working. Well she did no do anything but notified her manager (I assume) the next day. Well I was let go along with the other restaurant manager that was working but the bar manager was not. Is this legal? If all managers should be terminated, shouldn’t the bar manager whom is in charge of the bar be let go as well? They are also denying my unemployment benefits, can they do this? Are there any actions that I can take?

  • #2
    It may not be fair, but it was legal. Based SOLELY on the facts in your post I'd have fired the bar manager too but I don't know all the facts of the situation and neither do you - there are no laws saying that the bar manager MUST be fired. Your employer cannot deny unemployment benefits; only the state can do that. Your employer has the legal right to contest benefits just as you have the legal right to appeal the decision if it goes against you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.