X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shady employer practices Illinois

So here's the deal.
    I am a part time employee. Who works pretty much full time hours (at least 30+, but most of the time 40+). And for 6 weeks, i was working 60+ hours a week.

For 1+year my boss's boss, an IT Director, who made our lives miserable. The first thing she said to my boss, who didnt have a college degree was "why didnt you better yourself and get a degree?" I found a facebook survey, which didnt say any names, but said "Pet peeves: Yes, Slugs who report to me (but not for long, Haha)." We cannot prove that she was referring to us, but as circumstantial evidence, we received our job elimination papers a few weeks later. She was let go a week before we got our paper. In September, i was given the papers papers that says my position would be eliminated on Oct 30. I was extended until Dec 31 it is now Jan 7, and they extended me again thru 3/31. Between Oct 30 and Dec31 (and now), I have been helping in another department. The only reason they extended me past Dec 31 is because the person who i trained failed a drug test and was terminated. They hired someone else and i trained them too. The funny thing about this is that if our positions are being eliminated, why am i training people to take over. Now, my severance package includes 1 week pay for every year of service. I can give 2 weeks notice and receive my severance. Also, they have to give me a 2 week notice before terminating me.

Do you think i have a case for a Hostile work environment. And, if i give my 2 week notice, with the situation listed above, would i have a chance for unemployment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No. The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning under employment law, and nothing you have posted suggests that the definition has been met.

Based solely on what is in your post, you would almost certainly NOT qualify for UI if you quit.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

hostile work environment:

http://en.wikipedia.org:80/wiki/Host...rk_environment

(I don't see where this applies in your case.)

Also agree that you would not get UI benefits if you quit your job.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm not even sure I'd call this "shady", either. Poor management or unfair, maybe.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I agree - not really "shady" but possibly a poor way for the co. to manage their business. (nothing illegal though)
          Last edited by Betty3; 01-08-2010, 08:05 AM.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X