This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Gratuity - Fee Subtracted Illinois

My boyfriend just started a new job delivering pizza. One customer paid by credit car, the tip as well. Apparently the business takes a fee out of the tip, because it is done by credit card, and he gets the leftover. I have been trying to find out if this is actually legal in his state. It looks like it's illegal in CA, but I can't tell about IL.

Does anyone know about this or know where I can find out?

Illinois - Q: Can I (employer) deduct the credit card processing fee from my tip payouts?

A: If the employer pays the credit card company a processing service fee, the employer may deduct this amount from the tip payout. For example, if the credit card company charges 2% on charged sales as a service fee, the employer need only pay the server 98% of the charged tip.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Comment

You're welcome.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

One caveat, though, the deduction cannot result in the employee receiving less than minimum wage for the workweek unless the employer makes up the difference.

But thanks for reminding me, though. The next time I order pizza delivered, I'll pay the tip in cash. Ooh, pizza sounds good right about now.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            One caveat, though, the deduction cannot result in the employee receiving less than minimum wage for the workweek unless the employer makes up the difference.

But thanks for reminding me, though. The next time I order pizza delivered, I'll pay the tip in cash. Ooh, pizza sounds good right about now.
            I know, not pertinant, but, Thank you Patty. It is kind people like you , who understand tipping and how it affects the worker, that warm the hearts of us ex-delivery people.

Merry Christmas to you!

Comment

You're welcome and to you too. I actually DID order pizza delivered after your post. Last one before the diet starts again after Christmas.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X