This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work Environment Illinois

I need help in understanding what is considered a hostile work environment. I've been at my job for almost five years and I have frequently come accross so many negative situations. I have a co-worker who is my bosse's "pet"; she gets away with murder. Last week I had an incident where my co-worker (we'll call her the pet) came next to me to see what I was doing. Instead of asking me (which she never does), she said, "EXCUSE ME!" in a very negative tone. So I looked at her, somewhat confused, and she said to me, "You don't have to look at me with everything I say!" So I told her that she didn't have to have an attitude with what she said. I went to my manager to inform him of the situation, and I told him that I wasn't sure what had just happened, so he said, "well neither do I" and then he just walked away. I went back to him today to get some feedback about the situation, but his response was, "I'm not a camp counselor! and since the work is still getting done, there's nothing to do about it!" I told him that situations like that create a negative environment and can lead to poor production. He was not interested in resolving the issue. I told him that he might not be a camp counselor, but he is still our supervisor and I was coming to him for help. I asked him, "what should I do? If I look at her when she's saying something to me, it's not the right thing to do, but if I don't look at her, it's still not the right thing to do." I told him that it's confusing and nothing I do will ever be the right thing. He had nothing to say and basically he told me that I need to figure out a way to make it work. What should I do? Is that not an example of being in a hostile work environment?

Our HR person was let go recently, so I don't have anyone to go to, but even when she was there and I made complaints and several others (about 7 others) made complaints, nothing has ever been done to help the situation (our company only has about 30 employees). As time progressed, these two people get worse and worse because they are getting away with murder. This is not the only incident with my supervisor or my co-worker that has caused stress. I'm also not the only person that has had these type of experiences with both of them. Five other women have had problems with these two people, but my manager and my co-worker have managed to get all five of them let go (one of my other co-workers has seen them do things on purpose to get people in trouble). They make a terrible duo (they have caused a lot of hurt and damage). This company has had some lawsuits filed against them due to these two people and yet they are still employed while the other good employees are no longer there (one of the women that was let go was there for seven years and when these two got into play, all of a sudden she was not doing a good job). Doesn't that seem odd. We even had temps. complain about my co-worker "the pet". I have documented some of the incidents and I also have other people that support my view regarding this matter.

Is there something I could do? Could I file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

Thanks,

Purple

The BBB takes consumer complaints, not employment-related complaints.

That is not a "hostile working environment" under the law for which you have any legal recourse. Google it and you'll get some very good hits about what an HWE actually is. It's poor management, a rude manager, an unprofessional manager, and uncomfortable working environment and that's all it is.

If this person's manager accepts her comments and management style, there really isn't anything you can do. And it appears the company isn't bothered by losing employees or being sued (which, if the offending employees are still there, probably means the suit got thrown out of court).
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Sometimes it just seems so unreal the bad things that they have accomplished and that they get away with. There have been so many complaints about those two people, and yet the big bosses don't care. They've had other managers complain about them and still nothing is done.

How could the others and myself make sure our voice is heard? I have gone through the chain of command. I went to my supervisor, and he did nothing, I went to human resource, and she did nothing, then I went to the person above my supervisor, and he did nothing. All the other people did the same thing. Is there anything else we can do?

Thanks,

Purple

Comment

It appears you have done everything you can do and upper management is not going to do anything and you can't force them to. Sometimes a bad employer is just a bad employer.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the honest answers.

I feel a little dissapointed that the work place could be such a negative environment.

Best regards,

Purple

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X