This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exempt salaried employee docked pay Illinois

Our employer will dock a salaried exempt employee Four (4) Hours of pay if they are late one (1) minute. If you sit down at your desk at 8:01AM you are docked four (4) hours of pay. Is this legal?

No, it's not. You can file a complaint with the state DOL.

However, I have two additional comments:

1.) While it is not legal to dock either an exempt or a non-exempt employee for four hours if they are one minute late, it is legal to fire either an exempt or a non-exempt employee for being one minute late.

2.) The easiest way to make this problem go away, is not to be late.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks

This goes a little beyond what is just listed above. I work on average 60 Hours a week staying late almost everyday and coming in on weekends when I am not scheduled. I thought that docking 4 hours for being late was extremely excessive and probably illegal. Putting in all the extra hours weekly and then being treated like this for being a couple of minutes late just really shows me what I mean to my employer.

Would anyone have a a link to where this type of thing is listed? I think the next time it happens I could take it above my managers head.

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.602.htm
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.603.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Just to be clear that we are all saying the same thing, when the OP (original poster) says "dock" do you mean reducing the actual paycheck or reducing the vacation/PTO balance? These are legally two very different actions and some posters use the word "dock" to describe both actions.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

They take pay, pure and simple.

Comment

Then the regulations to which I provided the links apply.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X